Frequently Asked Questions

1. What does "Syndication" mean?
A definition of Syndication is the selling of articles and photographs to several newspapers or magazines for simultaneous or later publication. In reality, however, there is a great deal more to it than that. In our terms we license rights in copyright material from our newspapers and protect these rights and the interests of our papers.

2. Is all content in the papers owned by News International?

The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun and News of the World use many freelance writers and therefore we do not always hold the copyright to a particular piece of text, photograph, cartoon or graphic. However, in most cases we are able to let you know the copyright holder.

3. What is the "Times News Service"?
We send out the "Times News Service" electronically, seven days a week, 24 hours a day. This is a comprehensive selection of British and world news, science and technology reports, sport and leisure, together with reviews and interviews from our arts and entertainment pages to other newspapers around the world for simultaneous publication.
If you wish to find out more on the News service click here.

4. Who does Syndication sell to?
Clients vary in size from individual readers to the world's largest and most successful companies, including book publishers, other newspapers, magazines, society and charity newsletters, websites and television programmes. The material we handle ranges from some of the most exclusive stories and photographs in the world to cartoons, crosswords, puzzles and brainteasers.

5. Is the photograph collection in a digital format?
Yes, most of News International Newspapers photographs are available in digital format. Enabling us to email images directly to you. This database of 25 million images is growing daily.

6. Do we supply content from all the NI publications and web sites?
We supply content from The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun and News of the World. The Times Educational Supplement, The Times Higher Educational Supplement and The Times Literary Supplement all do their own syndication. They can be contacted at:
The Times Literary Supplement,
Admiral House,
66 - 68 East Smithfield,
t:+44 (0) 207 782 3000
f:+44 (0) 207 782 3100

7. How do other papers approach the selling of content?

Other newspapers differ from ours in that they do not have so many freelance contributors; this means that they are able to sell their material at cheaper rates than we do. They do, however, have similar departments and agencies working on their behalf's.

8. I want to reproduce an article/picture from a supplement?
NI Syndication is also responsible for all supplements attributed to the newspaper titles such as Style, Culture, The Times Magazine, The Sunday Times Magazine, Fabulous and The Sunday Times travel magazine. News International use many freelance writers and therefore we do not always hold the copyright to a particular piece of text, photograph, cartoon or graphic. However, in most cases we are able to let you know the copyright holder.

9. Where is Syndication?

1 Virginia Street,
E98 1SY
t:+44 (0) 207 711 7888
f:+44 (0) 207 782 5353

10. Can we reproduce Letters to the Editor?

All 'Letters to the Editor' remain the copyright of the letter writer or their estate; you should contact them direct at the address given at the foot of the printed letter for permission to reproduce their material. However, 'Letters to the Editor' may not be used in a commercial context.

11. Can I photocopy articles for classroom use?
Licences to photocopy articles for educational establishments are available. You should contact The Newspaper Licensing Agency on the following for more information and a licence:
Lonsdale Gate
Lonsdale Gardens
Tunbridge Wells
Kent TN1 1NL
t:+44 (0) 1892 525273
f:+44 (0) 1892 525275

12. Can I reproduce an article in my dissertation?

Provided you are a student you may reproduce our material inside your dissertations and essays provided it is not published in anyway. Prominent credit must be given to the author and the paper in question.

13. Can I reproduce The Times and The Sunday Times masthead?
The short answer is 'NO'. The Times and The Sunday Times masthead's include the Royal Coat of Arms and therefore we are unable to licence their use. We do, however, have other fonts and titles that can be used.

14. Who should I speak to about Reprints/Pictures/Cartoons..Etc?
If you phone or email the Syndication department we will be able to help you in any one of these areas, we try to get the particular piece of content to you within a couple of hours - copyright dependant.

15. Am I allowed to copy articles to send to my friends (in the post and electronically)?

The general rule is 'NO'. You should consult our Terms & Conditions for advice.

16. Can I reproduce an advertisement?

'NO', the company who paid for it holds this copyright - you would need to contact the company in question.

17. Where can I get copies of photographs that appear in the paper?
The best place to start is by looking at the credit, which will be next to the photograph, this will give you a better idea as to who owns the copyright - if you are still unsure then contact NI Syndication.

18. Can I reproduce material on a forum?

You will have to get permission from NI Syndication and also let us know the theme of the website and forum.

19. Can I link articles from my website to your website without paying?
In certain instances this is possible but it is always best to check with us first about possible copyright and usage issues. Do look at our Terms & Conditions for further information:

20. If you wish to complain about content in the newspaper?

If you do have a complaint the department to contact is Customer Services:
tel:+44 (0) 207 702 1400

21. Can I submit letters to the editor?

'YES', you can do this by writing to:
The Editor,
1 Pennington Street,
E98 1TA
t:+44 (0) 207 782 5000
f:+44 (0) 207 782 5046

22. I am looking to get hold of backdated copies?
We do not supply backdated copies, however recent, please contact:
Remember When,
The Newspaper Archive,
Headline House,
445 Brighton Road,
South Croydon,
f:+44 (0) 208 668 0380
t:+44 (0) 208 763 6363

23. I only want to make a couple of copies?
You still need to seek copyright approval from NI Syndication for anything that is produced in our range of titles.

24. I wish to contact The Times Editorial department?

Please call switchboard and ask for 'Times Editorial'.
t:+44 (0) 207 782 5000

25. Can I link to articles on your website (without paying?)

Many people believe that as content is in the 'public domain' that they do not have to get copyright approval to use it, we would advise reading our Terms and Conditions before posting it on your website!

26. Can you syndicate my news stories that I myself have written?

We only syndicate content that has already been published by our titles; we do not syndicate for unpublished authors, students, amateur photographers or non NI Group Titles.

27. I am researching a topic and wish to find relevant pictures/articles?
NI Syndication may well be able to help, but search charges can be incurred dependant on the size and scale of the search.

28. I want a copy of The Times and The Sunday Times on CD-Rom?
Please contact
Chadwyck Healey
The Quorum,
Barnwell Road,
CB5 8SW,
United Kingdom
t:+44 (0) 1223 271254
f:+44 (0) 1223 215514 or

29. I want a copy of The Times Electronic Law Reports on CD-Rom?

The Times Electronic Law Reports on CD-ROM
Context Limited,
Grand Union House,
20 Kentish Town Road,
NW1 9NR,
United Kingdom
t:+44 (0) 207 267 8989
f:+44 (0) 207 267 1133